Disclaimer

"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."


Sunday, January 29, 2012

Where I Walk

I walked today, not where Jesus walked, as there are very few places that have remained intact and accessible over the past 2000 years in the Old City of Jerusalem, but rather, where Kevin, Derrick, Jared, and Jessica walked. Where Elyse and Richelle explored and adventured, where Morgan and Jocelyn and Jared Donaldson lived and loved. Where countless friends have come and gone, experienced, and left their mark, or not. When I run up and down the steps of this center, I often reflect on the students who have been let in on this miraculous experience before me. Comparitively, we are a small in numbers, and are all tied together by the love and spirit of this holy place. I especially think of my friends, of the stories that I've heard of them, or from them, the advice, the preparation that they tried to give to me. As much as I value their advice, I'm afraid I hung more on their advice than I needed to, and started trying to recreate their experiences for myself. It wasn't really until recently that I realized my story here would be different than my friends', and that's alright. As we are told many a Sabbath, each of us has been brought here for a reason. An experience like this doesn't just come to one on a whim. My reason isn't necessarily the same as even my close friends'.

But as I find and live that reason, I still smile as I pass by the phantom images of Kevin sneaking around the secret forum doors semesters before me, or Jessica meditating in the Garden Tomb. I'm finally beginning to truly understand these people as I walk where they walked and love what they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment