More and more I've found myself procrastinating going home in the evening. It's more than my complete inability to be productive in my apartment. I'm pretty good at doing what needs doing before I leave at night. It's more that, on campus, I feel comfortable, excited, and alive in a way I never do at my own place. I've made this my own place instead.
I've made the religion building my "bedroom." I use its long benches to nap on when I should be studying, and do quite a bit of my homework there. I get the most privacy and quiet there, on the upper floors, and have spent hours watching the sunset out the west window and the valley out the south.
The humanities building with its gorgeous façade and balcony is my living room. I go there to read for pleasure, watch my movies, use the computer (in the computer labs, of course) and admire the cityscape (what there is in a town this size, of course). It's the most beautiful of the buildings on campus, and the one in which I spend most of my time, both by scheduling constraints and choice.
The student center is my kitchen. With its food court, I eat most of my meals there. I've found a lovely, isolated south window on the second (technically third) floor and take every Subway sandwich, Teriyaki Stix bowl and Taco Bell burrito up there to eat in peace. I've started to eat my other meals there as well, just for the beautiful view (and the cement floor that keeps me from falling asleep too easily).
And, of course, the library is my...library. That's where I do most of my hardest work (writing papers), and where I do my real work. I'll study in the sampler room, the fifth floor under the windows, and in any of the study rooms with windows (yes, by myself. Just to indulge.) whenever I need a change from my typical study place. In fact, I'd pretty much live there, if I could. The dreams I have in which I do, in fact, live in the University library must have something to do with that desire.
There you have it. With everything I need here, why would I ever go home? Hmm. It must be to see those wonderful roommates or something.
No comments:
Post a Comment