Disclaimer

"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back

So remember when I said I was a bit sad about leaving home and not at all looking forward to this school year again? Scratch that. I just found me, my qi, my rhythm, my stride, take your pick. I'm back. I'm remembering all my favorite places. I'm rediscovering all my favorite things, and most of all the feelings of excitement and energy and the attitude of efficiency and competence that being on campus all the time brings back to me. I sprawl out on one of the big terminals in the Humanities computer lab, turn up my music on Raaga (today's playlist is the Billu Barber soundtrack) and begin my Spanish online exercises. It's so familiar to me. I spent all Winter doing this very same thing, and yet, it's still fun. I'm again finding that center where I'm just me. Not a quotation of my ancestors, not in reference to my hobbies, my high school life, or my weaknesses. It's just me and my future. I can be anything I want, do anything I want. And what I want to do right now, maybe more than anything else, is spend all night here, in the Humanities lab, watching a Bollywood movie. And you know what? As a linguistics student, I feel completely justified in doing something so indulgent on a school night. I'll just chalk it up to preparing myself to work with my selected language in Syntax in a couple weeks. Oh how I love college.

No comments:

Post a Comment