Disclaimer

"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."


Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Best First Day Ever

I thought today would be a chance for me to try out my newest hobby: people watching. Yet, it turned into, rather pleasantly, I might add, something quite different. Earlier this summer, I began to regret my decision to join a Freshman Academy community. I tested out of (and quite well, I might add) the first-year writing GE, and I wasn't sure why I was taking it anyway. Nor did I really have any desire to take a regular BOM class and A HTG class, rather than honors. As it turns out, as I found out when I went to the Honors Program NSO session, the basic English Honors writing class is required for graduation with honors. So, I decided to suck it up about the other two classes in my envelope, and just enjoy school.

Boy was I wrong. Freshman Academy was probably the wisest choice I made this semester. It is so much easier to make friends walking from class to class than it is in one lecture period. I spent this morning with a girl from my BOM class, eating ice cream and generally getting ourselves lost and turned around in the JKB and other such buildings. We finally parted ways at 1, she to a Student Development class, and me to my past, present, and future haven of good classical music (my teacher's finally on the mend!).

Not only do I get to make friends, but with an off-campus community, you have about a 2% chance of someone making a stupid, albeit sarcastic, statement about the level of maturity or intelligence of people choosing to live at home while attending The University. Not everyone can get Micron scholarships or 18,000+ dollars a year. Who's bitter? Not me! (seriously, though, I honestly don't care. that was just for effect.)

Wow, do I love being a college student. Learning what you want to, learning things that actually matter, to you, choosing when and where you want to study and take your finals. I love all the resources available to you, the way you're not just allowed, but forced to get out into the fresh fall air every hour. I love the cushy, soft chairs in the bottom of the library, the smell of books all over the HBLL. I love the Earnestly Chocolate ice cream you can still get at the Student Center, even though they gutted the old creamery. I love how The University is totally removed and totally different from the Town. I love turning my brain into the The University mindset every day as I drive to school. I love meeting new people and seeing the wonder in them, and the wonderful things about them, and being completely comfortable in my own skin. Best of all, though, is the crisp, new book, with as much room and as much potential as a pre-Gutenberg bible, ready and waiting for me to write my story in it, and illuminate both my life and its pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment