Disclaimer

"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."


Saturday, March 14, 2009

Comfort Listening

For some reason, I've always found her voice strangely comforting. Actually, comforting might not be the right word. Comfortable might be better. It sounds like an old friend, or my future, or my memories singing to me. I've never heard a song from her I didn't like, mostly because it's her unique voice that makes me listen to the songs and love them, and it's her talent for song writing that entertains me. I can love it without being necessarily liking the song. 

I'm trying to figure out why her voice is like my favorite comfort food for the ears. I'm not having much success. I was first exposed to it in my sophomore year. One of my friends decided to introduce me to his music. He gave me a re-writable disc that he filled up with his favorites, mostly in Japanese, but of the few in English, most were from this group. In fact, this was the first one I heard, and I fell in love with it right away. Just listen to the lyrics. They're remarkable. And universal. And her voice? It's otherworldly. And I have to listen. It's captivating. Almost hypnotic. When I listen to her on lala, I can't keep carrying on im conversations, or facebook conversations. I just...forget. Which makes her music so great for stress relief. 

This whole thing sounded like a cliche. But sometimes it's just hard to use words to describe music and the emotions it creates. 



No comments:

Post a Comment