"I've come back to this city, where names are given to distances as if to human beings, and the numbers are not of bus routes, but: 70 After, 1917, 500 B.C.E., Forty-eight. These are the lines you really travel on." - Yehuda Amichai
Pages
Disclaimer
"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Feet of Clay
I don't understand how it's possible for the human heart to turn so entirely and so quickly from being so...not in love, but in awe, in admiration, of someone, to complete disgust and frustration. I guess a better question is, how can the human heart be so mistaken? In this case, I just lost faith in people in general. When I lost faith in him, and realized that he was only human, it made me realize that if he, being the best I knew of, could act as he had, then all the other, weaker, specimen out there must still be vastly inferior, leaving me no hope that anyone else could be as good. I realize maybe I didn't want to see what was under the mask. Like the passengers on the train realize in Spider-Man 2, "He's just a kid." Well, I didn't want to know that who I was "hanging my dreams on" was really just the same as the rest of us, with the same shallowness and the same human frailties and foolishness. Though we may all be holding out for a hero, I guess it's better not to see who he really is inside, if we want him to really be our "hero."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment