Disclaimer

"This blog does not supply iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. Please take all posts with a grain of salt."


Friday, October 3, 2008

My Music Fix

Last night I watched this with Desi, and though I was watching it for purposes of American Heritage and trying to learn about its English History and Religious importance, what struck me the most was that music was something only the noblility could afford. When Jefferson and Franklin visit a concert, it is a big event. It's the only time they'd get music for a long time, other than perhaps the piano in the home that the daughter played, and the son who sang along. I couldn't handle that. I am SO blessed to be on earth now, when music is everywhere. It can be overwhelming, but I'd rather be overwhelmed than deprived. Music is my boyfriend. I was in three musical ensembles in high school. I play two instruments. I sing. I wake up to Birdland. I drive to Journey and Montgomery Gentry. I hear composers from all time periods two to three times a week, and more if you include what I hear myself play. There is rarely a week that goes by in which there is not a concert at The University. 

In short, I need music like I need water. One is for my body, the other for my soul. And even being here now with iTunes, CDs, radio, Pandora and lala, instead of 20 years earlier, when 8 track tapes were the norm and few had discovered the joys of John Williams. That's an exaggeration, but still. I need my music. The 18th century would have been torture in that regard. Thanks to marching band, music is in my blood. I'm serious. The pounding of the bass drums and the throb of the sousas has saturated my blood with music. My brain needs it as much as oxygen. Thank heaven I'm here now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment